Log in

No account? Create an account
Hello everyone, I am a young male high school teacher, and I am just… 
17th-Sep-2004 05:51 pm
Hello everyone,
I am a young male high school teacher, and I am just starting my third year teaching. However, I am struggling with how I should deal with a particular situation. I teach an elective with 7 students, all girls. I have had these students for over two years now, and know them very well.Anyways, there is one girl who has always seemed healthy and happy, and of a normal weight. However, as the weeks have passed I have seen her waste away to the point that she is now skin and bones. She just isn't the same person, and I am pretty sure she has an eating disorder. I don't know how to address this, if I should at all. I am male, and am not sure if it would be best for me to approach her about it, as I think it might be better coming from a woman. However, I know her pretty well and I am very concerned and want to help. Do you think I should talk to her myself, or tell the school psychologist, or maybe a female teacher? Or should I call home? Thanks for the help.
17th-Sep-2004 11:42 pm (UTC)
I think you should contact the health nurse or the girls counselor. That is my opinion.
Would love to hear what others have to say about it
18th-Sep-2004 04:39 am (UTC)
As a parent I want to know what could be wrong with my child but seeing as you have noticed this but you have heard nothing from the parents makes me wonder about them..( it could be that they are already seeking help and didn't think to tell her teachers which I think is wrong I try to tell the teachers involved with my kids everything that I can think of about my children so they are well informed and prepared)
I would talk to the school psychologist first about the situation and see what he/ she has to say about the situation and what their opinion would be.. then go to the parents.. then (hopefully) together you can help this girl.. you didn't mention how old she was.. but I imagine your talking about a teenager and they can get offended at every little thing you throw at them so no matter how you approach her it will be not taken well..
but first I would find out what if anything the parents know about this..
Please let us know what happens and how it comes out.
21st-Oct-2004 07:38 pm (UTC)
i would definately contact the school psychologist FIRST and inform them of what you've observed...and leave it up to them to handle the situation in a professional manner. your school's psychologist is trained to deal with these types of situations and knows exactly how to deal with the parents of the child. if the girl does indeed have an eating disorder, she will most likely start talking to a therapist about it.
you've done your job by realizing the problem... now its time to turn it over to the professionals.
This page was loaded Apr 21st 2018, 6:46 pm GMT.